Membership & Engagement Coordinator (MEC)
Unitarian Universalist Church of Palo Alto, CA
Position: A thriving suburban congregation in Silicon Valley, in the San Francisco Bay Area is looking for a part-time (15 hr/week), one-year Membership & Engagement Coordinator (MEC) to help grow its membership. If you have a friendly, welcoming manner. skill at coaching and supporting volunteers, and an enthusiasm for helping us to welcome more members, join us!
Background: UUCPA has a high level of member involvement in adult religious education programs and small groups, a growing children’s religious education program, acclaimed music and preaching, constructive handling of conflict, lively engagement in social and environmental justice, and a strong sense of being a happy, healthy community. We have consciously changed our culture, which was once quite inward-focused and hard to enter, to the point that newcomers frequently comment on what a warm welcome they receive. We want to work with a Membership & Engagement Coordinator on a one-year concentrated effort to get to the next level.
Congregational Goal: To enthusiastically welcome more people into our church, specifically by expanding our processes for guiding newcomers into membership, and newcomers and new members into greater engagement in congregational life.
Partner Projects: The congregational leadership has committed to three other initiatives to support the MEC’s work: (1) Expand the Membership & Growth Committee to have six or more members; (2) Have the Parish Minister work closely with Membership & Growth; (3) Make this project the top Board priority this year.
Timeline: One year. Possibility of extension depending on budget.
Time/hours: 15 hours a week. Aside from 9 a.m. – 2 p.m. Sundays, the MEC can work from home and at flexible times for most of the remaining ten hours.
Accountability: Supervised by the Parish Minister, Rev. Amy Zucker Morgenstern. MEC reports in writing to Board of Trustees.
Partners with: Membership & Growth Committee, Parish Minister, and Board. Coordination and communication with Board members holding the portfolios of Volunteers and, to a lesser extent, Small Groups and Social Justice, is also important.
Supported by: Church Administrator, Administrative Assistant, and Religious Education Assistant give support such as database maintenance.
- Be a prominent and effective support/point of first contact for newcomers
- As appropriate, meet one-on-one with newcomers/new members to connect them with opportunities such as small groups, volunteering, and social justice
- Coordinate new-member classes with assistance from Parish Minister and others
- Train volunteers in membership skills (for example: greeting, calling visitors, welcoming newcomers to small groups, inviting people to join congregation)
- Pass gathered information promptly to administrative support staff for entry in membership database.
Experience, Knowledge, Skills and Qualities:
- Personal warmth and a friendly, open manner
- Skill in interpersonal relations and group dynamics
- Commitment to welcoming individuals of diverse backgrounds and particularly attuned to issues of race, ethnicity, and physical & mental ability
- Self-motivation, good organization, detail orientation, ability to follow through with and delegate responsibilities
- Collegial and collaborative approach to other leaders, lay and professional; however, the sense of personal authority to make recommendations to a board, committee, and staff and expect them to be accepted
- Clear written and spoken English
- Familiarity with, or willingness and ability to learn: Word, Excel, Google Drive, Realm, WordPress.
- Experience with Unitarian Universalism
- Knowledge of, or willingness to learn, Unitarian Universalist purposes, principles, sources, history, and traditions.
- Experience in a faith community
- Experience as a membership volunteer or staff member
- Clear boundaries as a staff member who is among and closely involved with, but not one of, the members of a faith community.
Salary and benefits
In keeping with the Unitarian Universalist Association’s Fair Compensation Guidelines, the salary for this 15 hours/week position will be $15,544 – 20,925 depending upon experience. Life, LTD, dental; church also makes $200/month payment towards your health insurance premiums upon documentation of enrollment.
Please send resume and two references to the Membership & Engagement Coordinator Hiring Committee, firstname.lastname@example.org. Letter of interest optional. Process open until position is filled.