The Heart and Home women’s shelter returns to UUCPA March 6 through April 17. Heart and Home asks our members, and also the wider community – to sign up to bring meals online at https://signup.com/go/pMrHFbs . And if you like to bake – they also have an option to sign up to bring muffins.
1) If you are interested – sign up soon. Community members outside UUCPA will be signing up too starting Wed evening, so pick your date today!
2) Logistics – Deliver a ready-to-serve dinner for 8 to the UUCPA kitchen back door at 6:15pm – Look for a dinner dropoff cart. This is also the requested time and place to drop off muffins.
3) Heart and Home could use one more volunteer to help at dinner time once a week – email Edie if interested.
4) We encourage you to be as green as possible about food containers. Overview – minimize disposable plastic!We all buy some items in plastic containers – Food that arrives in a plastic container will not be turned away! We do encourage you to include “less plastic” as one of your criteria when you plan a meal to bring.
A few examples –
- Bring lasagne in your own pan with foil or a metal pan on top rather than in a bought aluminum pan with a plastic lid.
- You can borrow a pan or pot from UUCPA in advance on Sundays if that helps.
- If you bring food in your own bowl, and would like to bring your bowl home, ask the dinner volunteer to swap your food to a UUCPA bowl. Or you can pick up your bowl in the kitchen on Sunday.
- If you order a meal from a restaurant, find out what packaging they use. And try to say no thanks to plastic forks and knives.
- There are great meals at Costco, but as you pick, think about packaging as well as the delicious bargains.
Thanks! Edie Keating, Beth Sherman, and Barbara Smith-Thomas