What follows has been updated in a new article with more details about singing, registration, and smoky days. Click here for the most up-to-date information.
I am delighted to report that, thanks to hard work and creative thinking by the Hybrid Services Task Force and so many others, we’ll be able to gather in person at UUCPA beginning in two weeks: September 12.
- Health and Safety First: Children, most of whom are still completely vulnerable to COVID, will be on our campus having their program. It is vitally important that adults respect the fences put up around the campus and not enter any space except that designated for the service. I would be so sad to cancel our in-person gatherings, but more heartbroken if a child were infected with an increasingly dangerous variant on our campus, so please: No entry into the religious education space–no exceptions.
- When? The in-person service will be at 9:30; the online service will continue, now at 11:00. Other than the change in time, the online service is unchanged—all of the rest of the following information pertains only to the 9:30, in-person service.
- Say more about when? We have two services scheduled for in person: September 12 and September 19. We’ll review the experience, make any necessary tweaks, and if all is well, continue in October. (The service on September 26, being pre-recorded video of the Ware Lecture, will not have an in-person option.)
- Where? The service will take place in a clearly marked area of the parking lot. It is not the most beautiful part of our property, but it will be made lovely by our presence.
- How? For the time being, attendance at the in-person service is limited and requires pre-registration. Realm, UUCPA’s database, offers an excellent registration process, so please activate your account with Realm now if you have not done so before (see this article).
- What about masks and all that? Masks will be required, as they are on the UUCPA campus at all times, and seating will keep a six-foot distance between households. We strongly recommend that you be vaccinated for your own and others’ well-being.
- Can I drink coffee? Coffee is a UU sacrament, isn’t it? Yes–do bring your own! (Lifting your mask to take a sip of a drink is fine.)
- What if it’s smoky? Please check the UUCPA website before coming to church. If the forecast at 6:00 the previous evening predicts that the morning’s Air Quality Index will be 100 or higher, in-person services will be cancelled. We will also update our outgoing phone message if services will not take place.
- What do I do when I get there? Go to the check-in table, get your hand stamped (it’s like going to a carnival!), and have a seat. For extra-easy check-in, download the Realm Connect mobile app.
- Is it handicapped-accessible? Yes!
- What if nature calls? Service attendees will use the restrooms in the Main Hall lobby.
- Can I attend in-person and online? Sure! After the 9:30 service, settle back in at home and enjoy the second service. They will be similar but with significant differences, such as music.
- I have other questions! Ask us! You can reach Jeff and Debra, our administrative staff, here, and me here.
I can’t wait!