Please join us for a 4-part adult religious education class titled: Transcendentalism Then and Now, led by Rev. John Buehrens.
Background reading for the course is Rev. Buehrens recent book, CONFLAGRATION: How the Transcendentalists Sparked the American Struggle for Racial, Gender, and Social Justice (Boston: Beacon Press, Jan. 2020). The paperback edition of this book will be available in Jan. 2021 from Beacon Press or the UUA bookstore.
The course, however, will be thematic rather than following the narrative of the book. Rev. Buehrens will identify contemporary issues as well as explore the pioneering efforts of our spiritual forebears in spiritual practice, women’s rights, anti-racism, and ecotheology. The format of the course will include both lecture and discussion.
During his career, Rev. Buehrens served congregations in Tennessee, Texas, New York, Massachusetts, and California. Prior to his retirement in 2017, he was the Senior Minister of the Unitarian Universalist Society of San Francisco. He was also the president of the UUA from 1993 to 2001.
- Date: Wednesdays: January 6, 13, 20, and 27, 2021
- Time: 6:30 – 9 pm
- Presenter: Rev. John Buehrens
- Contact: Marilyn Austin (email@example.com)
- Registration: Advance registration is required. Please email Marilyn Austin at firstname.lastname@example.org to sign up for the class.
- Location: via Zoom. The link will be provided to registered participants.