Sacred Text Reading Group
Date(s) - 12/05/2020
4:00 pm - 5:00 pm
A weekly online sacred text reading group with Amy
Using a spiritual-practice approach, in each session we will explore a different brief scriptural text in depth. The aims of the sessions are educational (learning something about the texts and traditions), spiritual/moral (discovering what the texts ask of us), and community-building (getting to know each other better). Amy will have a version of the text available to share; “bring” your own if you like. All are welcome, as are your suggestions of future texts. About half our readings so far have been those suggested by group members.
Our text for December 5 comes from the Buddhist tradition (specifically, the Pali canon) but might well be a comment on all of the readings we’ve done together. It is by a nun named Sakulā, speaking in the Therīgāthā: the songs/poems of the elder nuns. The translation is by Matty Weingast, in the book The First Free Women.
If there is something in these teachings
calling out to you,
it’s because something in you
is calling out to these teachings.
The Path will take you
whenever you’re ready –
just as you are.
How to join:
- Join this class from your Web browser by clicking this link
- Join this class using the Zoom app: Meeting ID: 816 6832 9988, Passcode: 123123
- Join this class by phone: 669 900 9128 US (San Jose), Meeting ID: 816 6832 9988
- Join this class by one-tap on mobile phones: +16699009128,,578882781# US (San Jose)
- Phoning in, but not in the bay area? Find your local number: https://zoom.us/u/abL8clvIYT