A Green Sanctuary
Becoming a Green Sanctuary has meant commitment and action as an institution and as individuals to moderate global climate change and to live in harmony with the earth. The Congregation is accredited as a Green Sanctuary by the Unitarian Universalist Association.
Over the past 10 years, highlights of actions include:
- replacing low efficiency furnaces
- installing flourescent and LCD lighting
- installing timed thermostats
- installing solar electricity generating system to provide approximately 50% of our electricity useage
- using Palo Alto city green electricity for the other half
- inaugurating a thorium reactor study group
- partnering with Interfaith Power & Light, Acterra, Cool Congregations, theDriveLessChallenges and the Thorium Energy Alliance of Silicon Valley
- advocacy for coastal Alaskan villages suffering from global warming
- implementation of “green” purchasing policy
- recycling members’ ink and toner cartgridges
- member pledges totaling 100,000 lbs of carbon reductions
- planting low-water-use plants (mostly CA natives) in landscaping
We continue our active push toward being truly Green in our energy consumption. The committee meets on the second Sunday of each month at 11 am in Room 9. Newcomers and drop-ins are welcome.
Visit the Green Sanctuary Committee page for more info.