Our Elected Leaders
At the Annual Meeting held in April each year, the entire congregation of members will meet, vote on our budget for the upcoming year and elect members of the Congregation to two leadership groups:
- The Board of Trustees
- The Leadership/Nominating Committee
These elected bodies work closely with our minister and staff to fulfill our mission and vision. Currently, the policy-governance model guides our governing approach.
Board of Trustees
The Board of Trustees is the legal representative of the church and is responsible for finances, and for overseeing the work of the church, including operations, programs, and planning. See Article X in the bylaws.
POWERS OF THE TRUSTEES
Subject to the limitations expressed in Section 10.08, the Board of Trustees shall:
Between meetings of the Church, be the governing body and exercise the power of the Church;
- Have general charge of properties of the Church;
- Subject to the provisions of Article VII, create or terminate such committees, as it deems appropriate, to carry out the work of the Church, including but not limited to Operations, Religious Education, Finance, Programs, and Planning.
- Subject to the provisions of Article VII, employ the ministerial and operations staff as necessary, and define their duties and responsibilities. The relationship between each minister and the Church shall be the continuing responsibility of the Trustees, and they shall consider such relationship not less than annually and communicate such with the ministers.
- Approve affiliation of auxiliary organizations with the Church or terminate the same.
- As necessary, appoint an executive committee of the Board whose function shall include but not be limited to handling appeals and resolving disputes.
The Board can be contacted by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Board meetings are held every fourth Tuesday of the month (except in November and December) at 7:00 pm in the Fireside Room. Meetings are open to all, but the schedule is always tight, so discussions are determined by the published agenda. To request time on the board meeting agenda, please email email@example.com.
The Board of Trustees has from 9 to 13 members, elected by the congregation. Each member is elected for a 3 year term, with 3 members elected each year. If a member is not able to complete the 3 year term, members may be elected to fulfill the remaining years of the term. The Board may also appoint members to fill vacancies until the next Annual Meeting. The President of the Board is selected by the Board. The term of office is from May 1 to April 30.
Board Officers and Portfolios
See ARTICLE IX in the bylaws—OFFICERS OF THE CHURCH
Following the annual meeting of the congregation in April 2019 the newly elected board met to elect officers. These elections are effective from May 1, 2019 to April 30, 2020.
The Committee on Ministry
The minister and the Committee on Ministry assess the health of our ministries. The Committee also mediates conflict within the congregation. The six lay members serve staggered three-year terms. The minister is an ex-officio member.
The Executive Team
The minister and the office administrator make up the Executive Team which is responsible for the Congregation’s day-to-day operations. The Team creates committees and recruits volunteers to lead many areas of congregational life
The Leadership/Nominating Committee
The Committee nominates individuals for election to the Board of Trustees and the Leadership/Nominating Committee itself. It also nurtures healthy, sustainable leadership for our congregation through workshops, a mentoring program, and online resources. Six congregants serve staggered two-year terms, with three new members each year.