Google Group email lists (formerly mailman lists) are used by group members to share information, work on projects, and so on. Mail sent to the group’s @uucpa.org email address is sent to all the members of the group.
Our groups are implemented using Google Groups on our Google for Non-Profit domain account. Group Owner(s), committee chair(s) or other designate(s) maintain each list, adding and deleting email addresses for the group.
Major Types of Email Groups/Lists
- Announcement Groups: for distributing announcements either to the whole church or based on a special interest. All messages to this type of group are moderated.
- Collaborative Groups: for group members to interact with one another. Generally, messages to groups like this are not moderated for group members. While messages can be announcement-style, back and forth email conversations are also common.
- Individual Email Addresses: for group leaders or contacts who need a @uucpa.org email address that forwards messages to their personal email address. These are also created using Google Groups and are distinct from uucpa.org email accounts. For details on individual email options, please see UUCPA Email Addresses.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I join (subscribe to) an Announcement Group?
- Announce: Church-wide announcements.
- CRE Parents: Announcements for events related to children and families.
- The Weekly Update: Every week, The Weekly Update is assembled and sent via email to this list.
- Submit content via email to email@example.com and specify that you want your content included in The Weekly Update.
- Subscribe to The Weekly Update via this form:
- The Bulletin: Not currently being produced.
How do I join (subscribe to) a Collaborative Group?
While you can ask to join any group by sending an email to <group>+firstname.lastname@example.org, the best way to join is to contact the group owner/follow the group registration process according to the group web page.
If you don’t find instructions for the group you’d like to join, please send an email to email@example.com.
How do I withdraw (unsubscribe) from a Group?
Sending an email to <group>+firstname.lastname@example.org from your subscribed email address is the easiest way to withdraw from a group. Another option is to send an email to the group owner to ask them to remove you.
How can I find out which groups I belong to?
To find out which UUCPA groups you belong to, make sure you are logged into Google with the email account that you use for your UUCPA email subscriptions and then use a browser to browse to https://groups.google.com/my-groups. Here you will find all of your group memberships, not just the ones on the uucpa.org domain.
How do I request a Group (email list) for my group or activity?
- Send an email to email@example.com with the following information:
- Group email address requested (eg. firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Group description (one or two sentences)
- Email address(es) of list owner(s)
- Should emails to the group be moderated? (yes, for all? yes, but only for non-group members?)
- If emails will be moderated, who can moderate emails?
- Who can post to the group/list? (anyone? or, group members only?)
- Who can join the group/list? (anyone can ask? or, must be invited?)
- Who can approve new members?
- Should the group be listed in the directory of groups?
How do I contact the owners or managers of a group?
- Group Owner Email Address: Group owners can be contacted using the following email address format: <group>+email@example.com (example: for the Elder Journey group with group email address firstname.lastname@example.org, the email address for the group owners is email@example.com). Emails to the Group Owner Email Address go only to the email addresses of users who are designated as owners of the group.
- Group Manager Email Address: Group managers can be contacted using the following email address format: <group>+firstname.lastname@example.org. Emails to the Group Manager Email Address go only to the email addresses of users who are designated as managers of the group.
How do I post a message to a group?
For most groups, sending an email to the group email address will send the message along to the group. For example, sending an email to email@example.com will post a message to the UUCPA Announce group list. If the group is set up to moderate incoming messages, then the message will be delivered after one of the moderators has a chance to approve it.
Note that individual group members have control over how they receive messages from the group. Some may receive daily digests of messages, while others may receive each individual message immediately after it is posted (and approved).
Some groups allow non-members to post messages and others do not. If you aren’t sure, please contact the group owner.
For help, contact firstname.lastname@example.org