Sacred Text Reading Group
Date(s) - 11/28/2020
4:00 pm - 5:00 pm
A weekly online sacred text reading group with Amy
Using a spiritual-practice approach, in each session we will explore a different brief scriptural text in depth. The aims of the sessions are educational (learning something about the texts and traditions), spiritual/moral (discovering what the texts ask of us), and community-building (getting to know each other better). Amy will have a version of the text available to share; “bring” your own if you like. All are welcome, as are your suggestions of future texts. About half our readings so far have been those suggested by group members.
Our text for November 28 is a Buddhist passage from the Middle-Length Discourses, no. 104, At Sāmagāma:
There are, Ānanda, these six roots of disputes. What six? Here, Ānanda, a bhikkhu is angry and revengeful … is contemptuous and domineering … envious and avaricious … deceitful and fraudulent … has evil wishes and wrong view … adheres to his own views, holds on to them tenaciously, and relinquishes them with difficulty. … Now if you see any such root of dispute either in yourselves or externally, you should strive to abandon that same evil root of dispute.
We will no doubt have a fascinating discussion about the reasons we have conflicts.
How to join:
- Join this class from your Web browser by clicking this link
- Join this class using the Zoom app: Meeting ID: 816 6832 9988, Passcode: 123123
- Join this class by phone: 669 900 9128 US (San Jose), Meeting ID: 816 6832 9988
- Join this class by one-tap on mobile phones: +16699009128,,578882781# US (San Jose)
- Phoning in, but not in the bay area? Find your local number: https://zoom.us/u/abL8clvIYT