ARE Workshop: Opening the Great Window
Opening the Great Window: Catching a Glimpse of Your Larger Identity
- A Three-Part Workshop with Dr. Chris Schriner
- Mondays, October 25, November 1 & 8
- 7 to 9 pm, on zoom
“I am not small because I am part of the universe, and the universe is not small.” –Barbara Williams Pemberton
We can “expand onto a more capacious self which has left its previous boundary behind.” –Edwin Burtt
When we were younger we may have felt full of potential, open to many paths and varied experiences. Before long most of us narrowed our vision, limiting ourselves to a few simple story lines. This unique workshop invites you to open the window wide once again, tapping the wisdom of brain science, philosophy, and spiritual traditions for a lively exploration of your larger self. The class will draw on three chapters in Dr. Chris Schriner’s book, Do Think Twice: Provocative Reflections on Age-Old Questions. Themes include:
- Learning from science about our limits and potential.
- Discovering true freedom in a deterministic world.
- Finding islands of calm in an ocean of craving.
- Why it’s so stifling to pretend we’re consistent.
- Like to be lazy? These hidden “minds” will do your best work.
- Remember Ram Dass: empower the inner Witness.
- Do think twice; “The first response is habit. The second response is mine.”
Dr. Schriner is a retired psychotherapist and Minister Emeritus of Mission Peak Unitarian Universalist Congregation in Fremont. He is also an independent scholar whose papers have been published in Journal of Consciousness Studies. He has spoken at our church several times, and has presented workshops at UUCPA based on his books, Bridging the God Gap, Your Living Mind, and Feel Better Now: 30 Ways to Handle Frustration in 3 Minutes or Less.
To allow interaction, enrollment in the workshop will be limited and pre–registration is required.
Contact Marilyn Austin at firstname.lastname@example.org in order to get the zoom link and instructions for purchasing Do Think Twice for $15.00.
Add to: Google Cal, iCal, webcal