Sacred Text Reading Group (via Video Conference)
Date(s) - 09/12/2020
4:00 pm - 5:00 pm
A weekly online sacred text reading group with Reverend Amy
Using a spiritual-practice approach, in each session we will explore a different brief scriptural text in depth. The aims of the sessions are educational (learning something about the texts and traditions), spiritual/moral (discovering what the texts ask of us), and community-building (getting to know each other better). I’ll have a version of the text available to share; “bring” your own if you like. All are welcome, as are your suggestions of future texts.
This week’s reading is a Hasidic tale retold by Martin Buber in his Tales of the Hasidim: The Early Masters, translated by Olga Marx. A maggid is an itinerant preacher of Jewish wisdom, especially renowned for retelling stories, and the one speaking in the story is the Maggid of Mezeritch, Dov Ber ben Avraham of Mezeritch, also known as the Great Maggid.
The maggid once said to his disciples: “I shall teach you the best way to say Torah. You must cease to be aware of yourselves. You must be nothing but an ear that hears what the universe of the word is constantly saying within you. The moment you start hearing what you yourself are saying, you must stop.”
How to join:
- Join this class from your Web browser: https://zoom.us/j/578882781
- Join this class using the Zoom app: Meeting ID: 578 882 781
- Join this class by phone: 669 900 9128 US (San Jose), Meeting ID: 578 882 781
- Join this class by on-tap on mobile phones: +16699009128,,578882781# US (San Jose)
- Phoning in, but not in the bay area? Find your local number: https://zoom.us/u/abL8clvIYT