Sabbatical Minister Job Posting
Unitarian Universalist Church of Palo Alto (UUCPA)
Position Title: Sabbatical Minister
Reporting to: UUCPA Board of Trustees via a small appointed Sabbatical Committee
Appointment Period: July 1, 2023 – December 31, 2023 (or, as arranged)
Position: Half-time FTE
The Unitarian Universalist Church of Palo Alto (uucpa.org) seeks a Sabbatical Minister during our Parish Minister’s Sabbatical leave. UUCPA is a busy, inclusive, and multigenerational congregation, with excellent professional and lay leadership. There are approximately 200 members. The congregation highly values the worship service and connection with each other through a variety of over 30 groups and classes.
We are committed to a collaborative shared ministry, and our team of Worship Associates works closely with the religious education co-minister to plan monthly themes and individual sermon topics. The Sunday service is at 10:15 AM each Sunday. An attractive private office is provided and a Sabbatical Committee will be in place to answer congregational questions.
Our minister Amy Zucker Morgenstern will embark on a well-deserved 6-month sabbatical. The temporary, part-time Sabbatical Minister will, during Amy’s absence, provide leadership and continuity in the areas of worship, pastoral care, and church governance.
● Ordained as a Unitarian Universalist Minister. Students will be considered if they have passed the MFC.
● Experience with worship planning, pulpit skills, pastoral care services, and congregation management.
● Flexible attitude for adapting to unanticipated changes such as remote Sunday services and online personal interactions.
● Familiarity with use of video conferencing technology (e.g. ZOOM).
● Meet regularly with our Minister of Religious Education, and with the Committee on Ministry.
● Work with an established team of worship associates to plan worship services at least one month in advance.
● Meet at least one month before arriving, coordinate with co-ministers and the worship associate team to plan sermon topics for the first month of the sabbatical period.
● Plan and lead at least two Sunday services per month.
● Provide assistance as needed to the leaders of our pastoral care team and caring network volunteers who provide support to church members.
● Attend monthly board and key committee meetings to provide ministerial insight and guidance.
● Attend collegial support gatherings during this time as well. There is a fall retreat and monthly gatherings.
● Work with the Sabbatical Committee to ensure coverage of key tasks and to facilitate smooth transitions at the beginning and end of the sabbatical period.
● $4,800 per month (S/H) as a part-time temporary W-4 employee.
● Other benefits include 50% of the cost for medical insurance, a professional expense account, long-term disability insurance, pension contribution of 7% of his/her salary, and five days of paid vacation.
● Worship planning and coordination efforts prior to start date will be compensated as a 1099 contractor.
● Additional services such as weddings are up to the minister to accept or not. Memorial services for UUCPA members will be part of the minister’s contracted time.
To Apply for this Position:
Interested candidates should submit:
1) Letter of interest
2) Curriculum Vitae
3) Sample 10-minute sermon(s), preferably video or audio files or links accessible online
4) Names and contact information of two references
Please send these materials and any questions to:
Sabbatical Minister Search Committee at SabbaticalSeek@uucpa.org, or to Sabbatical Minister Search Committee, Unitarian Universalist Church of Palo Alto, 505 E. Charleston Rd., Palo Alto, CA 94306.
The sabbatical committee will begin considering applications from January 16th through February 5th, 2023. We will start interviews in late February, 2023.
A background check is required prior to hiring.